Saturday, December 03, 2005

Tadka Dal

Just tried this today from Madhur Jaffrey's 'Simple Indian Cooking'. I tweaked it slightly to my taste. its very simple to make (took all of 5 min) & it came out tasting heavenly:

Boil moong and masoor dal (you can do just moong dal also). Add turmeric & salt. Add water to get consistency to your personal taste - this dal will taste good thicker or thinner. Do tadka of olive oil, whole red chillies, jeera seeds, methi seeds and whole garlic (crushed lightly into big chunks with mortar & pestle). once the outside of the garlic is caramelized, add to the dal. Add lemon juice & cilantro (coriander) leaves, mix lightly & serve immediately.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time cooking with mung dal, and my first time using a tadka. I was pretty skeptical when I saw how simple the recipe was, but I gave it a shot, and you're right... it's pretty darn good.

I had no clue how much of each ingredient to use. I ended up going with 1/2 cup of mung dal, 1/2 tsp each of methi and jeera seeds, 2 cloves of garlic and about 4 dried chilis.

It would have tasted even better if a couple of garlic pieces hadn't gotten a bit overcooked, and therefore, bitter!


One question: I added the entire tadka to the dal, seeds, chilis and all. Everything blended together just fine except that the methi seeds imparted an unwelcome crunch to the final product. Did I use too many? Or should I have added only the oil from the tadka to the dal?

I'll definitely be making this again. Thanks for the recipe.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Seattle Foodie said...

i like your adventerousness! you do have to put the seeds & all into the dal for full flavor but typically most people like to put only 1/4 tsp of methi seeds or less due to the bitterness. i personally love more methi seeds & the crunchiness but with Indian home cooking, you always adjust for personal flavor - that's why the same food never tastes the same from home to home :)

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home